Doctors Hopeful About Giuseppe Di Stefano's Recovery
Tuesday, December 07, 2004
ROME ó Italian tenor Giuseppe Di Stefano was being taken off sedatives and doctors were hopeful about his recovery from injuries sustained in an attack at his home in Kenya last week, an official of the Italian Consulate said Tuesday [7 December].
Doctors at the hospital in Mombasa, where the 83-year-old Di Stefano is being treated, first operated on the retired opera star last Wednesday [1 December], a day after the attack, Tommaso Castellano, Italy's honorary consul, said by telephone from Mombasa.
He said Di Stefano, who was struck in the head during the attack, had been unconscious and fed on an intravenous drip since the operation, which had to be repeated Saturday. They plan to carry out a scan this week to check Di Stefano's condition once taken off sedatives, Castellano said.
"The doctors are hopeful that the first and second operations went well," Castellano said. "But since the patient has been unconscious, doctors have no way of checking yet whether the situation has improved, and by how much it might have improved."
Unidentified assailants carried out the attack at Di Stefano's house in Diani, about 270 miles southeast of Nairobi.
Castellano said Di Stefano received a blow to the head while trying to defend his wife as the assailants tried to steal her necklace. His wife received 16 stitches to her head at the hospital in Diani.
Di Stefano was considered one of the greatest tenors of the 20th century, with a powerful and handsome voice. He is also remembered for ties with Maria Callas, who sang with him several times in the 1950s through her final tour in 1973.
Di Stefano sang at the world's top opera houses including Milan's La Scala, New York's Metropolitan, and in Vienna and Berlin. He last performance was in Rome in 1992.
Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.