Riccardo Muti Says He's Considering Music Director Jobs with Two Major U.S. Orchestras
Wednesday, April 20, 2005
ROME (AP) ó Riccardo Muti, who resigned as music director of Milan's La Scala opera house this month, says he is considering an offer from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
Riccardo Muti (photo by Antonio Parrinello)"They have asked me to consider their offer," Muti said in an interview published Tuesday [April 19] in the Italian daily La Repubblica. "Since we are dealing with one of the most prestigious orchestras in the world, I greatly appreciated their invitation."
"For now, I don't want to make other statements," Muti added, noting that the Chicago orchestra's current music director, Daniel Barenboim, is due to leave his post next year.
Muti also talked about the New York Philharmonic, where he returned to conducting last week. "New York is a city where I have always worked very well, there is a great understanding with the musicians and I feel that the public is close to me," said Muti, who agreed last June to conduct four weeks per season with the Philharmonic from the 2006ñ07 season through 2008ñ09. Lorin Maazel retires as Philharmonic music director after that season.
"Four weeks a year for a three-year period. Then we'll see," Muti said. The conductor said for now he would concentrate on a tour including concerts with the Vienna Philharmonic and a staging of Mozart's Magic Flute in Salzburg, Austria. "Salzburg is the ideal place to think," Muti told La Repubblica.
Muti served as music director at La Scala for 19 years before stepping down. He resigned amid a dispute triggered by the dismissal of superintendent Carlo Fontana, who had a difficult relationship with the conductor.
Workers at La Scala had accused Muti of trying to turn the opera house into his personal fiefdom, and several performances were called off because of the feud.
Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.