Five of the season’s six mainstage productions are new to LA Opera, including two company premieres; other highlights include a gala celebration of Plácido Domingo’s 50 years in Los Angeles
General Director Plácido Domingo has announced the repertory and artist roster for LA Opera’s 2017/18 season. Planned by Mr. Domingo in collaboration with Music Director James Conlon and President and CEO Christopher Koelsch, the season will include six mainstage productions presented at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, and additional performances presented in four different venues through the company’s Off Grand initiative. The company will also present two concerts at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, including a gala celebration marking the 50th anniversary of Mr. Domingo’s first performance in Los Angeles.
The season will open on September 9, 2017, and will run through June 24, 2018.
“Many of the world’s most gifted and most important artists converge in Los Angeles to bring the magic of opera to our community,” said Mr. Domingo, who will sing the title role of Nabucco and conduct performances of The Pearl Fishers during the season. “The 2017/18 season emphasizes the new. Five of the season’s six mainstage productions will be completely new to Los Angeles, and two of those will be company premieres. We will see a number of major house debuts by world-class talents, including two truly legendary artists: director-choreographer John Neumeier and baritone Leo Nucci. Furthermore, our Off Grand season introduces no less than five contemporary works in their company premieres. Put together, all of these groundbreaking performances showcase the transformative power of opera and the incredible variety of operatic expression.”
“With so many wonderful events surrounding my tenth anniversary at LA Opera, it would seem difficult to surpass the remaining months of our current season,” said Mr. Conlon. “But as I look ahead to the 2017/18 season, I am happy that we continue to revive significant works that have been long absent from our stage. In all, I will conduct four mainstage productions of operas that I have never previously led at LA Opera. I am particularly proud to collaborate with Plácido Domingo for our fifth Verdi opera together here, Nabucco, which has not been seen in Los Angeles since 2002. Gluck’s Orpheus and Eurydice returns to our repertory for the first time since 2003, when it was performed in the original Italian, but this time I will conduct the company premiere of the composer’s subsequent French adaptation. The season opens with Bizet’s Carmen, which, astonishingly, I will conduct for the first time in more than 20 years. I also look forward to celebrating the centenary of Leonard Bernstein’s birth with the company premiere of Candide. Most of all, I look forward to making music with our orchestra, chorus and staff, who are the musical backbone of LA Opera.”
Complete casting and additional information can be found at LAOpera.org.
In just over three decades of existence, LA Opera has become one of America’s most exciting and ambitious opera companies, dedicated to staging imaginative new productions, world premiere commissions and inventive stagings of the classics that preserve the foundational works while making them feel fresh and compelling. The company also explores unusual repertoire and new works through the Off Grand initiative, performed in a variety of venues throughout Los Angeles. As a non-profit organization, LA Opera depends on philanthropic support to ensure that opera thrives in Los Angeles for generations to come. Sharing the arts is part of the company’s civic responsibility, and LA Opera deepens community involvement with this rich art form through many wide-ranging initiatives.