DECCA CONQUERS UK CLASSICAL CHART WITH 14 ALBUMS IN TOP 15!
The Decca Label Group makes music history by having the Top 14 albums in the UK Classical Chart this week, with an incredibly varied selection of releases, showcasing the label’s diverse talent within the classical world.
The chart-topping pianist and composer Ludovico Einaudi – who has a cult following and this year has embarked upon his most ambitious project to date with the ‘Seven Days Walking’ seven-album cycle – appears no less than six times, with pioneering composer Max Richter appearing twice.
The remaining six albums are from such distinct artists as Jess Gillam, who recently became the youngest ever saxophonist to reach No.1, Andre Rieu, whose legions of fans never fail to support, and Andrea Bocelli, who last year became the first classical artist to top the Official UK Album Chart for the first time in over 20 years, as well as simultaneously topping the Billboard charts in the US. Also featured is one of Weinberg’s earliest compositions, the Second Symphony for strings (written 1946), along with his Symphony No. 21 (completed in 1991), conducted by the exciting young conductor, Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla, who earlier this year became the first female conductor to sign an exclusive long-term contract with Deutsche Grammophon (distributed by Decca in UK), being described as “athletic, magnetic, electrifying”* in style.
The BPI’s Gennaro Castaldo, said, “It’s remarkable that in their 90th anniversary year Decca should still be setting records in this exceptional way - whether it’s through exciting fresh talent like Jess Gillam, much-loved icons such as Andrea Bocelli and Lang Lang or the eclectic appeal of a new wave of global stars led by Ludovico Einaudi and Max Richter among others, who are helping to open up the world of classical by engaging new generations of fans through streaming.”
With affiliate label DG, and its iconic classical imprint Decca Classics, the unprecedented success this week reaffirms Decca as the frontrunner of today’s UK classical music scene.
Top 14 of Classical Artist Albums Chart:
1. Guiding Light – Katherine Jenkins DECCA
2. Islands: Essential Einaudi – Ludovico Einaudi DECCA
3. Seven Days Walking: Day Three – Ludovico Einaudi DECCA
4. Si – Andrea Bocelli DECCA
5. Seven Days Walking: Day One – Ludovico Einaudi DECCA
6. Weinberg/Symphonies Nos 2 & 21 – Gidon Kremer/CBSO/Kremerata Baltica/Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla DECCA (DG)
7. Romantic Moments II – Andre Rieu & Johann Strauss Orchestra DECCA
8. Rise – Jess Gillam DECCA (DECCA CLASSICS)
9. Piano Book – Lang Lang DECCA (DG)
10. Sleep – Max Richter DECCA (DG)
11. In A Time Lapse – Ludovico Einaudi DECCA
12. Seven Days Walking: Day Two – Ludovico Einaudi DECCA
13. Una Mattina – Ludovico Einaudi DECCA
14. The Blue Notebooks – Max Richter DECCA (DG)